HMEs help to reduce mucus production and coughing by humidifying and filtering the air you breathe through your stoma. Atos Medical supplies a number of different Heat and Moisture Exchangers (HMEs) that are designed to suit different lifestyles.
“When I started to use (Provox) HMEs my life changed. I started to see my friends and go to my favorite places again.” – Walter
Why use a Heat and Moisture Exchanger?
After a total laryngectomy, you breathe through the stoma in your neck. This means the air that reaches your lungs is cooler and less humid than it should be. Your lungs react by producing more mucus, and your windpipe can feel irritated. You may start to cough a lot and have to clean your stoma more regularly, which can be uncomfortable to do in public. Most people find that wearing HMEs can help.
How it works
The HME sits over your stoma as you breathe through it, warming up the air and making it more moist in the process. It does this by “catching” the heat and humidity of exhaled air, and then transferring it to the air you inhale. To really see the benefits of your HME, you need to wear it all the time. If you haven’t used an HME before, your lungs may start to produce more mucus. This is completely normal, and will settle down within a couple of weeks once your lungs have adapted to the new HME filter.
Speaking with an HME
If you use a voice prosthesis, simply press the HME lid to speak. The device helps you breathe more easily, which is important as you pause between longer sentences.
Different HMEs for different situations
We’ve designed our HMEs to work in different situations, depending on the time of day and what you’re doing.
The best HME for active users
Being “active” means different things to different people. It might mean going for a walk, or it could be those times when you’re out socializing with friends and talking more than usual. The Provox XtraFlow HME makes breathing easier by keeping the air you breathe humid when you’re physically active. It’s very good at keeping mucus to a minimum and helping you cough less, while being discreet, so you won’t feel as self-conscious of it in social situations. It’s also simple to use with a voice prosthesis – just press the lid to speak.
The best HME for taking it easy
You’re not always “on the go” during the day. Sometimes you want to relax and take things at a slower pace. That might be when you first get up to read the newspaper, or perhaps as you’re preparing a meal. In which case, we recommend the Provox XtraMoist HME. It keeps the air extra humid and is comfortable to breathe through. It works in a similar way to keep coughing and mucus to a minimum, while being discreet in its design and simple to use with a voice prosthesis.
The best HME for protection
The Provox Micron is designed to protect you when you’re out and about, either around lots of people where bacteria and viruses may be a problem, or if the air isn’t particularly clean (e.g. filtering out pollen if you’re working in the garden). Learn more about Provox Micron here.
Speaking hands-free with an HME
If you use a voice prosthesis, we’ve created the Provox FreeHands FlexiVoice (link to product). It combines a special valve with an HME to give you the freedom to speak hands-free. You can choose from two different options for the HME, which work better for different kinds of activities. If you’re feeling active, you should consider the ‘Flow’ HME, whereas if you’re relaxing, we recommend the ‘Moist’ option.
The new nighttime solution
You should never underestimate the value of a good night’s sleep. That’s why before you go to bed, we recommend switching to the Provox Luna. It keeps the air humid to help your lungs prepare for the day ahead. It’s easy to breathe through and specially designed to avoid any discomfort. “I absolutely love the Luna at night. I’m sleeping much better, it’s more comfortable and there’s far less secretion.” “When I saw the Luna I thought it would be good, I just didn’t realize it would be this good!” The Provox Luna has a smaller ring, making it more comfortable to sleep in. It also features a special ‘hydrogel,’ which has a soothing, cooling effect. You might notice your skin feels less irritated, particularly when it comes to waking up and wearing your daytime adhesive.
Thank you for your interest in Atos Medical! Once you have submitted your request, we will review it and respond to you within one business day.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us by calling 800.217.0025 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Your Atos Medical Support Team
The purpose of this policy is to set forth the Atos Medical Inc. (“Atos”) policy for providing adequate notice of the Uses and Disclosures of Private Information that may be made by Atos; and of Patient’ rights and Atos’s legal duties with respect to Private Information.
II GENERAL POLICY STATEMENT
- Atos will issue a Notice of Information Privacy Practices to all Patients at the Patient’s first service encounter. In emergency treatment situations, Atos will issue the notice as soon as possible after the emergency. The Notice will be issued within 60 days of a material revision to the Notice. In addition, at least every three years, Atos will notify patients of the availability of the Notice and how to obtain it.
- In its Notice of Information Privacy Practices, Atos will describe the manner in which it will Use and Disclose Private Information as necessary to provide treatment to its Patients. Specifically, Atos will Use and Disclose Private Information where necessary to carry out all of the functions which the Privacy Rule deems to be related to Treatment, obtaining Payment for services rendered, and maintaining Atos’s administrative, financial, quality assurance and other Healthcare Operations. Atos’s Notice also describes its Patient’s rights with respect to information privacy, as well as the circumstances under which an authorization must be obtained for Use and Disclosure of their Private Information. Additionally, the Notice describes how the Atos will Use and Disclose Private Information to persons involved in Patient’s care or payment for such care or coverage, and in other permissible circumstances, absent an authorization, such as to governmental oversight bodies – each as described in Atos’s Notice of Information Privacy Practices.
- Atos’s Notice will describe its information privacy practices to its Patient’s in an understandable form.
- Atos will post its Notice prominently on the Atos internet site. It also will make the Notice available to any person who may request a current copy. Finally, in accordance with the Privacy Rules, Atos will redistribute its Notice, as necessary, and in the event of a substantial change to information privacy practices so as to necessitate change in the substantive content of its Notice.
- Atos will, from time to time, adopt policies and procedures establishing the appropriate Use or Disclosure of Private Information in the context of a particular function undertaken on behalf of its Patients. These policies and procedures will be consistent with the categories of Uses and Disclosures set forth in the Notice of Information Privacy Practices. The Privacy Officer will maintain such policies and procedures and provide for the education of Employees.
A copy of the current Notice of Information Privacy Practices is available here.
This Policy is applicable to all Atos Workforce members within the United States and all systems containing American PHI and ePHI.
IV DOCUMENT RETENTION
Atos shall maintain this Policy and all notices and documentation created and/or sent, including all communications in writing or by electronic copy as a result of this Policy, for at least six years from the date of its creation or the date when it was last in effect, whichever is later, in accordance with HIPAA Policy – Maintaining Appropriate Documentation.
V PERIODIC REVIEW
- This Policy will be reviewed on a periodic basis.
- More frequent reviews may be set by the Privacy Officer or as may be required by law.
- The Privacy Officer should prepare revisions, retirements, and new policies as required, based on such periodic reviews.
Thank you for your interest in Atos Medical!
We have received your email and will get back to you within one business day. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us by emailing email@example.com
Your Atos Medical Customer Support Team
Thank you for your interest in Atos Medical!
An error occurred and your email failed to send. Please check your internet connection and try again. If you receive this message again, please send an e-mail to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your Atos Medical Customer Support Team
We look forward to see you!
Please try again.
If the problem persists, do not hesitate to contact us